Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Friday, February 5, 2010

New beginnings.....

I have entered city life. The buildings are all two or so stores made out of concrete and painted shades of browns, and pinks, if painted at all. The street is full of business. People walking, cars, and miniature modes of transport going so quickly that you would think you could never cross to get to the other side. You will also think that when you step out into the traffic in hopes that it will stop or swerve around you so you can get to the other side! A member of my team said we are walking by faith and not by sight. Where we live, the best place to be is the roof. It is like a social life above the world. You can see so many people doing their laundry, just standing together, kids playing. The roof top is a new view of a sometimes overwhelming city.


It is a disturbing model of life when you walk down the street and see high class jewlery shop, one after the other in between clothing stores then you look to the front step and find one beggar after the other. The rich among the poor. It reminds me a lot of the parable of Lazarus the beggar, and the rich man in Luke 16. One of the many hard situations that I believe can change. I am finding joy in the small acts of kindness. I know that big action needs to be taken but I want to walk in the opposite spirit in whatever way I can. I am afraid God built my mind to see the big and I immediately think that if we aren't having world movements to see poverty put to an end then things just aren't satisfying. God is teaching me, for now it is recognizing someone's importances as a person, or buying them a banana on the side of the road.

The people are friendly, beautiful, and colorful. The clothes, accessaries, and foods keep all your senses in high gear. We have been spending our first few days getting used to all these new sights, smells, and tastes! We are waiting to get into the hospital, which always leaves time for getting out into the city! Making friends, and learning about this culture. I am so excited about our time here! This is the 5th or 6th time the BAS school has been able to come and learn in the hospital we will be working at. Hearing the stories of changes in the hospital over the years and of walls that have been broken gets me geared up and ready to go to work.


We are praying to be in the hospital next week! I will update more later! I will also try and upload some pics from my time in Perth with my mom and brother!


You are blessed to be a blessing!



No comments:

Post a Comment