Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

6 months marks the beginning...

It is finished. Six months of living life together with 20 complete stranger that very quickly became family. I have said goodbye to the majority of them this week, a few remain, a few will return, but all transformed!

First let's recap India! I spent 4 weeks in hyderabad, India. A place that is starting to feel like an old neighborhood of mine since I have lived there three different times. It was an incredible journey to take 5 people from 3 different nations into a culture they had never experienced. We learned how to eat with our hands, wear the brightest arranges of colors, survive crossing streets, and enjoy people we never thought we would get to meet.

Most of our time we spent working at an HIV/AIDS clinic. It is a place called Nireekshana, which means, in the local language, hope. A deep wellspring of hope that comes in the most desperate of situations. The workers at nireekshana give this hope through their actions and love to the people that come to the clinic. It is a place that over 4,000 patient come to each month to get local check ups, meet with counselors, and receive free medications. We were able to sit with the counselors and pray for patients after listening to their stories. We were also able to be in the kids room playing and getting to know the kids that would come to the clinic.

One of the first weeks we got to pray for a little boy about 8 yrs old. He was going to have to have surgery later that week, because of a skin infection. We prayed, and later that week ended up getting to go on a home visit to the boys house. We found out when we arrive that the boy didn't end up having the surgery! He went to the doctor and the doctor examined him and said he didn't need the surgery anymore, he could go home with just medication! It was very exciting to see God heal, and see the faith it produced in this young family of believers!

We also got to work with the homeless. We started realizing how many homeless people were around, especially our neighborhood. We often had extra food every night after dinner, so we would bag up the food and go out in the afternoons and hang out with the homeless around our street. We got to know three different people and ended up spending time with them every week, sharing about Jesus, sharing stories of life, listening to their stories, and praying for them. It was exciting how God provided a translator every time we needed to speak to someone on the street.

I had a interesting encounter with the mice of india. oh the things you NEVER would have done before and then you lead a team, go to a different country, and all the sudden you are a superhero and can kill anything! bahaha! I am not a tough girl. I am as girly as you get sometimes! I used to hate killing anything and now it seems that I have killed just about everything. (well small bugs, cockroaches, and now mice... not everything!)

So one evening one of my students woke me up at about 2 am because she had just been bitten by a mouse! So i got her settled down and back to sleep. The next day we go and buy these mouse traps that work like this - It is cardboard that gets unfolded and in the middle there is this sticky stuff that catches the mice. We lay out a few of these traps and go to bed. The next morning we caught two mice on this one trap! Except one of the mice had gotten stuck half way on the cardboard trap and half way on our marble floor! So like a good leader, I delegate to my students to scrap the mouse off the ground so we can throw it away! But the students all got chicken and wouldn't do it, so it was right as we needed to head out the door for the day, so in a hurry I grabbed the dust pan and started scrapping this mouse off the floor, except that this mouse was still alive! So as I started scrapping you hear this squeaking! So it's like scrap, squeak, scrap, squeak! Then all my students start screaming and calling me a mouse killer, almost crying! In the end, I was the bad guy for throwing away the mouse!
Oh man... I still can't believe I survived doing that... EWWW!

Okay well there are a few stories. Now here are a few pictures! See more on face book if you want!

Just to mention quickly - I am going to be a student on a school in about 5 days! Yes from leader to student, and back into homework! I am going to do the school of communications and advocacy. It is a three month school, learning about how to communicate, God's heart for communication, and how to be an advocate to bring transformation and change to the world. I am super excited about this school but I can see how it is going to challenge me on lots of fears that I have about communicating personally and publicly. I would love your prayers as I enter into this school, and I still need some finances to complete my schools cost, so if you felt to support me, then you can click here http://www.ywamperth.org.au/007/payonline.asp to give towards my school fees through the website at ywam perth. I have 2400 and I still need around 1600 AUD. Thanks!


you are blessed to be a blessing.


This is our pink house


afternoon tea with the team


the local transport

Part of the clinic we worked at


 We taught about 120 youth/kids one day on intercession and praying
 Out in the old city of hyderabad

 My little friend! He was so cute! 
 The biggest pot of rice I have ever seen! You could have cooked me in that pot! 



 My friend feeding his son!

We headed at a VBS, one of the primary classes.



No comments:

Post a Comment